Friday 27 January 2012

Money Costs More Than Life

 

I came across this photo on Facebook the other day and it really made me think. When I see and hear about things like this all I can do is shake my head, write about it and hope that others agree. Kim Schmitz did steal from Hollywood and the record industry but he also helped them become what they are today. For example, there are many musicians that people are unaware of and by making their music available to the public they've got a better chance of getting noticed. This leads to more people PAYING to see you live. 

Now, I'm not trying to stick up for Kim Schmitz but when I see this photo it's quite disgusting. Why is it that society values money more than life? This guy gets 20 years and is then released to do it again but this time to more people in more disgusting ways. However, a man who simply saw a chance for revolutionary technology to take another step forward in allowing people to share, as they always have, is given 50 years. I understand that outrages occur in everyday society, but this is pushing things a little too far. When have we decided that causing personal punishment to the body of another human being is less offensive than helping to share a digital archive? I, for one, am disgusted with making a statement for a man who caused no harm instead of to one who murdered and raped a woman. What do you think? 

5 comments:

  1. There is a terrible issue with the justice system in both the US and Canada. We seem to have a large push towards rehabilitation when what I think we should do is prevent criminals from re-offending. Rape, Murder, Attempted Murder, Kidnapping and anything that ENDANGERS another's life should be the highest rated form of punishment. Stealing, drugs, piracy, petty crime should be where we try to rehabilitate but instead the murderers and rapists are set free and the online pirates have their entire lives taken away for something that could have been easily rectified and harmed no one in a physical or life threatening way.

    Courts and Judges and law making cowards I call you out to explain how something like this is possible in our society. We are supposed to be sophisticated humanitarians, we are Canadian for pity-sake and we allow hanus crimes like this to be re-committed sentence after sentence and 'parole from good behaviour' and it is sickening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By prevention do you mean keeping the offenders in jail until they die, or are you for capital punishment? Personally, I understand why the death penalty is desirable, if something like that had happened to one in my family; I would be calling for blood in retribution.

      You're quite right, we are supposed to be a sophisticated society and yet time and again we've shown that we do very little to stop any of this from happening. I think it might time for people to understand that crimes like rape and murder will NEVER vanish, and that we need to take some serious steps forward to ensure we can make the offenders weep.

      Delete
    2. There really is no hope for humans. Don't get me wrong, we are smart but the smart way isn't the right way for humans. Instead, we live off of things that make the rich even richer. They control this world and we really don't have a choice.

      Delete
  2. Honestly I don't want to pay for someone to live who is a despicable person, so I think I am going more towards Capital Punishment at this point. Specifically for Murder and Rape crimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone that is proven guilty of murder should be put to death. Instead, Canada prefers to spend millions of dollars to keep these criminals alive. I don't like how they use our tax dollars to keep these people alive, and then let them back on the streets to do it to someone else. Once a murderer always a murderer.

      Delete