Friday 10 February 2012

Slower Drivers Keep Right

I'm sure there are many blogs dedicated to ranting about slow, incompetent drivers that do things like hover in the passing lane going 10 clicks below the speed limit. Now, I could be one of those bloggers but there are too many things that bother and annoy me, so terrible driving can't be my only topic. So this blog post will be a quick rant about the main thing that bothers me when I'm driving, specifically in my hometown.

I'm a young male from Generation Y and I know everything (this is what the bad drivers and my parents say to me when I complain about them). However, I just finished driving school a couple years ago while many others on the road haven't taken a test in over 20 years as it is not required (just license renewal). Now, there are many people my age (22) that are terrible drivers so I'm not saying that the younger generation are better drivers. Instead, I'm going to say that I believe that I'm a good driver and many others have no idea what they are doing. If only I had the chance to be a race car driver :)

The picture above is exactly what happens. Actions like this can lead to an accident, so think before you act.   
Yes, I'm somewhat agressive when I drive but that wouldn't be the case if people only focused on getting from point a to point b. I don't use my phone. I don't focus on all the 'pretty' things around me. I don't go under the speed limit while in the passing lane. I don't block off intersections so that others can't get in. And I don't speed up and cut people off when they signal to get infront of me. I focus on getting to my destination. Of course the finger is pointed at me; the crazy, aggressive guy swerving in and out of traffic. But I'd rather have the finger pointed at me than hover beside someone that is making me uncomfortable. Getting around those roadblocks safety and making it to my destination is all that's on my mind.

To those that are guilty of these actions... Smarten up or get off the road because the good drivers shouldn't have to be the victims of your stupidity and lack of common sense.       

2 comments:

  1. Current bad driving behaviour also breeds future incompetence. We, as a society, need to recognize the rules of the road, and not take our "experience" for granted.

    Every time you drive, you are taking your life (and possibly others' lives) into your hands. Be responsible and lessen distractions (such as talking or texting on the phone).

    Good post Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post struck a nerve.

    I am with you 100%. Driving is something that is taken too lightly in today's society. Driving is a privilege that carries immense responsibility. In my opinion, we should have a driving competency test every 10 years. You can not be as familiar with the rules 40 years after taking a road test. There is no way you are operating a vehicle as safely as you should.

    Oh and while we're on that subject, put all your distractions to the side. Talking on your cell phone is not as important as your life. You can wait until you park your car. And if you need to do your makeup while commuting to an important date, he probably wasn't that important or you would have done it earlier ... just saying.

    Figure it out people you're operating a machine that weighs 1000's of pounds. Take it seriously.

    Thanks for that post Mike.

    -Blaze

    ReplyDelete